Thursday, July 17, 2008

Circle of Life

This month has been crazy fun, extremely sad and very happy all in one... and it's only the 17th of July, with 8 days left until we are married! Still no digital camera, but I have many friends that will share pictures and have used disposable cameras, I just haven't gotten them developed yet.

So, you ask, how can this month have been so crazy when we haven't even hit wedding week!? This month started out with our 4th of July trip to Harrison and Higgins Lake. We camped out at Bob's parent's cabin in Harrison and during the day we had the boat parked at the South State Park at Higgins Lake. The weather was absolutely beautiful; full of the warmth of the sunshine. We got to hang out with some great friends making new memories; even with the police swarming everywhere. We stayed pretty low key so they wouldn't bother us. If any of you have tried to call me since the 4th you will have realized I unfortunately lost my phone (I will be replacing it this week).

The Sunday after the 4th Bob and I had planned a day at my grandparents home on their lake in Barryton. We had found out about mid-June that my grandpa had cancer and the doctors hadn't give him more than a year to live, so we wanted to have some time with him. However, when we arrived we learned that he had been rushed to the hospital in Mt. Pleasant. Since we weren't sure if they (my mom, aunt and grandma took him) would be coming back, we hung out until we got more news. Unfortunately, his health had took a turn for the worst and he was given a very short time to live. So Bob and I headed up to the hospital to be with him and support my grandma. It was one of the hardest things for me to endure without releasing the floodgates; a strong man crippled by this swift moving cancer. I didn't want to cry, I wanted to be strong for both of them and have faith everything would work out. After we had left, we learned he would be moved to Hospice in Lansing so he would be closer to family. Because he seemed to be responding quite well to the calming atmosphere of Hospice, Bob and I decided to continue our annual trip to ride the Pine with a group of friends. It was fairly descent weather and we had a blast visiting people we only see about 1 time per year. Unfortunately, Saturday, while we were away, we learned that my grandpa had passed away. Since we were just about to get on the river, we continued that day out canoing and then packed our stuff up first thing Sunday morning to head to my grandparents home. We headed home late Sunday night so we could go to work and get some paperwork and whatnot out of the way. We headed back up there Monday morning, only to arrive to find out that my cousin Brandon's girlfriend (now fiancee) were there and had to jet off because she started going into labor, 2 hours north of her preferred hospital. We visited all day at the funeral home waiting to hear any news on the new baby. After visitations, the whole family went back to my grandparent's to memorialize and be together during this difficult time. We were up quite late reminiscing and as we were all heading off to bed, we got the call... Kim had delivered their beautiful baby girl. Peyton Lynn Warner was born at 12:34am, weighed 7lbs 7.8oz, and I believe 20 inches long.

We wanted so bad to be there for Brandon and Kim and see that beautiful baby, but we needed to stay up north and say our final goodbyes to our grandpa. The funeral service was one of the best services I have ever been to. It seemed all the right words and feeling free flowed through the funeral home. It was so hard saying goodbye to the man who had a way of getting my goat, but gave me so many more great memories that I will never, never forget. Just hearing his gruff voice one last time would give me an everlasting smile. The pastor that gave the beautiful service will also be guiding Bob and I through our marriage vows in 8 days.

Though I would have stayed all week with my grandma, Bob and I had to get home to take care of last week wedding chores and unfortunately, catch up at work. Before going home Tuesday night, we went straight to the hospital to see little Peyton and congratulate the proud new parents. Everyone was glowing with the happiness of this new little life.

And so, this is how it goes, the circle of life was completed in one weekend. It's truly amazing how God works his ways. We feel shattered at the taking of a loved one, but rejoice in the new life that was given at the same time.

No comments: