For those of you who check to see if we ever post to our blog... sorry, it hasn't been at the top of our list to get done. I am going to try harder now that I have everyone's attention with the name change on our main blog page.
Yup, you have the correct... You could officially say we have a farm, or at least will when we pick up our 2 new little Shetland lambs in the next couple weeks. I think sharing these little adventures will give you a giggle as we stumble around this whole "farming" thing.
After we got back from our April vacation, we ended up getting 12 new little chicks. We were kind of in need of them just so we could have a more abundant quantity of eggs. We won't sell them, but we will most definitely be interested in bartering goods for them. We finally integrated our little ones with the 5 biggins' and they seem to be getting along fine so far. One of our hens has taken over the mother hen role to them, protecting them from one of the other hens. Sweet to watch, honestly!
As referenced earlier, we will be picking up 2 Shetland lambs. This is a new adventure for both of us. We got one female and one male; Bob's daughter Amber wanted one so bad we told her it would be okay to keep it out at our place since she is not zoned for farm critters in the Lansing City limits. It will be good for our female when she loses her buddy to butchering come this fall. Apparently, there are many great reasons to have sheep... 1) Bob won't have to mow the grass as much, he just has to move the fence around the yard! 2) They will provide us with nourishment after being butchered 3) Shearing them for their fine, beautiful wool.
We will not be butchering the girls! Do not worry! We are thinking of breeding them in the hopes we get more males for slaughter... This is all new to us, so it will definitely be an adventure. An adventure for all our friends to get some good laughs in over us "getting in over our heads."
So, please keep in mind, I am looking for a wool spinner so I can spin the sheep wool into yarn. I am becoming very domesticated and am actually starting to feel pretty self-sufficient. It's a good feeling!
I will post pictures of our lambs when we get them!!! As for the chicks, I do currently have a couple pictures posted at facebook to see.
Oh, yeah... after we get the lambs, feel free to bring your little ones over to our petting zoo! I'm sure they will all get a kick out of it ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment